Electrical Technology focuses on the understanding and application of electrical and electronic principles.
The subject focuses on three main areas of specialisation, namely:
• Electrical (Power Systems);
• Electronics; and
• Digital Electronics.
Civil Technology focuses on concepts and principles in the construction environment and on the technological process therein.
It embraces practical skills and the application of scientific principles. This subject aims to create and improve the built environment to enhance the quality of life of the individual and society and to ensure the sustainable use of the natural environment.
The subject focuses on three main areas, namely:
• civil services;
• construction; and
Mechanical Technology focuses on concepts and principles in the mechanical environment and on technological processes.
It embraces practical skills and the application of scientific principles. This subject aims to create and improve the engineering and anufacturing environment to enhance the quality of life of both the individual and society alike, and ensure the sustainable use of the natural environment and resources.
The subject Mechanical Technology consists of:
• Fitting and Machining; and
• Welding and Metalwork.
Engineering Graphics and Design (EGD) teaches internationally acknowledged principles that have both academic
and technical applications.
The emphasis in EGD is on teaching specific basic knowledge and various drawing techniques and skills so that the EGD learners will be able to interpret and produce drawings within the contexts of Mechanical Technology, Civil Technology and Electrical Technology.
Technology as a subject contributes towards learners’ technological literacy by giving them opportunities
• Develop and apply specific design skills to solve technological problems.
• Understand the concepts and knowledge used in Technology education and use them responsibly and purposefully.
• Appreciate the interaction between people’s values and attitudes, technology, society and the environment. The intention is to introduce learners to the basics needed in Civil Technology, Mechanical Technology, Electrical Technology and Engineering Graphics and Design.
Additionally, learners gain an idea of the way engineers apply scientific principles to practical problems. In addition, evaluation skills will be fostered and the introduction of product
design and production will be useful in other FET subjects that use these skills – such as Consumer Studies and Design.
The web page was made with Mobirise